Pink Magnolia Tree Blossom


So I wanted to draw another flower this week (guess I'm stuck on colorful things these past 2 weeks).  My daughter took a close up picture a couple weeks ago of this pink Magnolia flower, and I really liked how it turned out.  It showed everything in the flower petal - veins and all.

As I drew this flower, it occurred to me how it's strange that a beautiful pink flower could bloom in February.  So I researched the Magnolia tree and found that some Magnolias are "early bloomers" starting their blooms in February while other Magnolias are "late bloomers" waiting until late spring/summer to bloom. 

What I really loved about this petal was how it looked delicate yet strong. I actually felt like I needed to draw the flower with bold strokes and colors to mimic how it looked so hearty.  Also, I liked how the veins in the petal were violet just like human veins.  Maybe this is a sign we have a connection somehow to flowers.  Or maybe it signifies that flowers are part of the lifeblood of our environment.   Somehow I think we are meant to stop and enjoy their beauty now and again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hand 66

Hand 63

Hand 68