Veterans Day 11-11-11

It has been a while since my last post, and I decided to draw a picture in honor of all the veterans this Veterans Day weekend 11-11-11. I didn't know of any better way to show my appreciation to all those that sacrifice so much for our country than to draw a picture that touched my heart somehow.

I found this image from a Google search here: (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2007573/Afghanistan-Iraq-wars-What-West-got-10-bloody-years.html).  I wish I could give credit to the photographer, but there was no name associated with the photo.  I appreciate whoever took this image as it really touched me with it's compassion and emotion that it evokes. It illustrates the compassion of two unknown soldiers helping their fellow comrade out. Also, the burning fire in the background makes me envision all the terror and fear that soldiers must face in any war.  It's almost like the fire doesn't have any affect on the three men walking right in front of it.  But I'm sure it does.

As I was drawing this picture (which took me a couple days) it gave me a chance to contemplate war and what those that are in the war must have to put up with almost daily.  For example, I noticed how many pockets, pouches and bags the soldiers had in their uniforms.  They must have to carry a lot of items - including guns - which may be heavy and cumbersome.  They must also have to be so organized in order to know where all their items are in a moments notice.  Also, the men seem so calm in the face of danger right in front of them.  It makes me think how soldiers must have to act brave and calm to get through a day.  Of course I don't know what any soldier feels or faces each day.  All I can do is say "thank you" to all those that do serve our country and sacrifice seeing family and friends.

Let us honor veterans that have served in any war this weekend and beyond.   They have chosen to do what they do to serve our country and help make our homes a safer place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hand 66

Hand 63

Puppy in a Blanket